When it comes to the top five main causes of commercial fires, electrical fires tend to find their way onto the list every time. These electrical fires are also known to cause more damage to property than other causes of commercial fires.
NFPA Electrical Fire Statics
- Between 2004-2006, an electrical fire was the main cause of 4,065 medical facility fires
- These medical facility electrical fires resulted in over $34 million worth of loss
- Between 2003-2006, electrical fires in warehouses caused over $14.9 million in loss
- 28% of electrical fires stem from electrical distribution equipment
- 22% of electrical fires stem from fixed wiring
What to Teach Employees
In order to keep staff and occupants safe within your commercial building, it is essential to educate your staff members about commercial fires and the chance of an electrical fire. Employees should be taught the following:
- Identifying potential risks for electrical fires
- Proper safety codes and procedures when dealing with moisture and electricity
- The safe distance between you and an exposed electrical conductor
- Proper lockout procedures when dealing with electrical equipment
- Requirements for electrical installations
Signs of a Potential Electrical Fire
It is imperative that businesses learn the signs of a potential electrical fire to help stop damage and prevent a disaster.
- Frequently tripped electrical circuits
- Frequently blown electrical fuses
- Shocks from appliances
- Wall outlets that are discolored or appear worn
- Dimming or flickering lights
Fighting Electrical Fires with Fireline
At Fireline, we offer an array of portable fire extinguishers and fire alarm systems to keep commercial buildings safe. Fireline offers the highest quality alarm systems to keep your business safe from fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. We also offer fire suppression systems as well to help keep commercial fires controlled should they break out. Our trained technicians will work with you to determine which air sampling smoke detection system is best for your business. We will also help install and maintain the system for your commercial building.