Fire pumps are an essential part of the fire protection system for buildings, as they provide water flow at a higher pressure for fire suppression. Fire pump inspections and maintenance are crucial for every facility, as a fire event can result in major loss in a building with a failed fire or booster pump. Business owners have a responsibility to ensure all equipment is maintained and inspected often, including the repair and upkeep of all fire systems.
When Inspections And Tests Should Take Place
While some inspections of certain systems can take place once a year, other inspections or tests should take place much more frequently. Inspections are visual examinations to verify everything is in operating condition and not damaged, while tests are used to determine the status of the pump and if it will work properly when needed. Carefully read over this overview of the inspections and tests you should be completing for fire pump to know what tests can be completed annually, monthly, and weekly.
- Pump house, heating, ventilating louvers inspection
- Fire pump system inspection
- Pump Operation test (for diesel pumps only)—no flow start and run test for 30 minutes
- Pump Operation test (for electric pumps only)—no flow start and run test for 10 minutes
- Fire pump alarm signals test
- Full flow test (for both diesel and electric pumps.) This test is very important, as you can see the full capabilities of the fire pump. The pumps are tested to make sure that the water flow is strong enough to put out a fire- which can save lives and the building in the event of an emergency.
Most maintenance on the fire pump and its associated components should be completed as stated by the manufacturers’ recommendations, which varies for each test and inspection. However, the hydraulic systems, mechanical transmission, and motor should be tested annually.
Importance Of Fire Pumps
Fireline can design, furnish and install all types of fire sprinkler systems, including fire pumps. If your building’s system has an inadequate water supply, it is crucial for the installation of a fire pump. While fire pumps can be expensive, their importance cannot be overstated in the absence of a sufficient water supply.
Fire Prevention and Protection Services from Fireline
Whether you need smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, or an automatic sprinkler system installed at your rental property, Fireline has you covered. We have been protecting people and properties from fire damage since 1947—and our experience shows in our excellent work! We are known for our wonderful customer service, our expertise, and our reliability. For more information on how we can help your residential or commercial property, visit us online or give us a call at (800) 553-3405. For more fire safety tips, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google+.