Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the leading causes of accidental residential deaths. Every year, anywhere from 170 to 400 lives are lost in the United States due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide poisoning is also known as the “silent killer” because the gas is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, making it difficult to detect. Carbon monoxide occurs when different fuels are burned incompletely.
Burning fuels that can lead to the release of carbon monoxide include:
- Natural gas
When carbon monoxide poisoning occurs, CO is replacing and then blocking the amount of oxygen available to the blood. When this occurs, your tissues become damaged, and too much damage can then result in death. While detecting carbon monoxide is near impossible without some type of alarm system, there are symptoms that warn you are experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms to be aware of are:
- Shortness of breath
As the carbon monoxide poisoning progresses, you will experience loss of consciousness along with loss of your muscular functions. At this point, fatality is imminent if medical attention isn’t available immediately.
There are several ways for homeowners to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, especially as the weather grows colder.
- If the need ever arises for you to burn the previously mentioned fuels, ventilation is imperative.
- Have your appliances and HVAC systems maintained and checked by professionals to ensure they are working properly.
- Charcoal should only be burned outside. Never burn charcoal inside a home, tent, garage, or vehicle.
- Never leave your car running inside a garage with the door closed.
- Gas appliances should never be used to heat your home. These appliances include ovens, ranges, and clothes dryers.
- Be sure to install a CO alarm within your home. This will alert you should dangerous levels of carbon monoxide be detected in your home.
At Fireline, we offer fire alarm systems that include air sampling systems. Fireline offers the highest quality alarm systems to keep your home and business safe from fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.
To get started with Fireline today, call us at 1-800-553-3405, or visit our contact page.
Be sure to “Like” and “Follow” the official Fireline page today on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.